Hi! I'm Ling Ling
I'm the writer behind this personal blog, Miss Elle Tea. I started this blog because I wanted to write, get things off my chest, find my voice, and discover what matters most. I wrote a post about Why I Blog.
For now, I write about people, places and phenomena that spark inspiration or tickle curiosity. Perhaps one day, I'd dare to call myself a writer.
Who Miss Elle Tea?
I love to hike mountains and trek jungles. The Bornean rain forests. The rocky Himalayas. The undulating coasts of Algarve. The majestic and wondrous nature is a humbling reminder of the impermanence of it all. More importantly, our fleeting and insignificant speck of existence in this timeless and infinite universe.
Malaysia is blessed to have the world's oldest and most biodiverse rainforests. According to local superstition, spirits live in these rainforests. Some are good, and some are not. When trekking, people may disturb and offend the spirits by trespassing or stepping in the wrong places.
As such, these spirits may want to seek revenge and stalk trekkers. However, spirits can only follow you if they know your real name. So, we use nicknames as a spiritual precaution.
My trekking nickname is Elle Tea; my initials (L.L.T.) are spelt out. 🤓
Who is Ling Ling?
Here are a few fun things about Ling Ling:
- I'm Malaysian-born, in a city where the Portuguese, Dutch and the British once colonised.
- With the help of a fortune-teller, my name is derived from the word língjiǎo (菱角) or water caltrop in English.
- I've lived, studied and worked in 8 countries - Australia, Canada, Malaysia, Portugal, Serbia, Singapore, the UK, and the USA.
- I'm a multi-hyphenate, which means I do too many things. Currently, I'm studying to become Cultural Psychologist. I'm a learning & development professional and formerly an electronics engineer.
- Since 2005, I've facilitated and delivered programs in 21 countries across four continents as a learning and development professional.
- I worked on a podcast show called, Leaders of Learning from 2018 to 2020 and made some appearances.
- I practice Vipassana meditation daily and learn Ashtanga Yoga with Glo.
- I am based in Lisbon, Portugal. If you're around, drop me a note and let's have coffee. ☕️
What are you working on now?
- I'm working on master's research about refugees' integration/adaptation and their psychosocial well-being. The thesis is required for the Masters in Psychology of Intercultural Relations with ISCTE-IUL in Lisbon, Portugal.
- Culture Spark Global is a learning and development company that focuses on developing intercultural skills through assessments and workshops.
- KulturKraft is a content and educational platform about the psychology of culture and society. It aims to bring together academics and activists, psychologists and practitioners, to use science to promote social change.
If you'd like more insight into my background, connect with me on LinkedIn.
How can I support Miss Elle Tea?
You can sign up for my mailing list for free. I'll only send messages when I have something to say, which might be once every one to six months or more. It will mostly be about projects I'm working on, current issues, mental health... well, anything really.
You can also forward an article from this blog to a loved one, if it can help or inspire them in anyway. 💐
Are you an affiliate?
Yes. Miss Elle Tea participates in the Rakuten Advertising Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to help a site earn commissions by linking to its products and services.
In other words, whenever you buy a book/product from any link on this site, I receive a small percentage of its price. This helps to maintain the website and support my work. You're safe. There are no nefarious "third parties" or "cookies".
Thanks so much for being here. It means a lot to me. 🥰
P.S. If you found a typo and dying to fix it, drop me a line, and I'll get to it soon!
P.P.S. I stumbled upon some pretty cool Japanese soul/funk. Best enjoyed when you feel like getting on your feet. Enjoy!
Last Updated: 14 June 2022